Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Wearin' of the Green

Happy St. Patrick's Day! La feile Padraig shona duit!
Yet again, I'm sharing a picture from St. Patrick's Cathedral in Armagh. I just love this image. He is often depicted in Ireland in red...I wonder why. Maybe it shows his royalty, or his closeness to the Savior, who is often shown in that color. When we wear green today, we show our Catholicism and our connection to the shamrock and the Trinity. Protestants who want to protest wear orange today!
I'm reminiscing today about the special sites and things that I've visited, relating to this great saint. I've seen his grave, his bell, a well with an old cross where he baptized many, the place where he lit the Easter fire to launch his mission in Ireland, the place where he fasted for 40 days for the people of Ireland, and I'm sure I'm forgetting something.
Of course the kids watched the CCC movie of St. Patrick, which also reminds me - I've seen that bell, and I've been to Slane! Buiochas le Dia! (Thanks be to God)
I also spent some time browsing this fascinating old book!
May St. Patrick bless all who read this, and make us strong in the Faith like he was!

1 comment:

  1. Cool stuff! It's not fair that you've gotten to see all this stuff in Ireland. Ach níl Gaeilge agat, tá Gaeilge agam. :)
    Only saw one four-year-old wearing orange. So it's a good day. :)

    ReplyDelete

Where to Find My Writing!

  A Photo I took in Siena, Italy last summer. Happy Feast of St. Catherine of Siena, everyone! As you see, I'm not regularly posting her...