Monday, December 12, 2016

"The comfort of Advent shines forth in so many various ways from this hidden figure of the blessed and waiting Mary. Oh, that this was granted to the earth, to bring forth such fruit! That the world was permitted to enter into the presence of God through the sheltering warmth, as well as the helpful and reliable patronage of her motherly heart!"

~ Fr. Alfred Delp, SJ, written from Nazi Tegel Prison, December, 1944.

God could have come into the world any way He wished. He could have appeared, fully grown, with no one knowing where He came from. He could have arrived in a chariot from the clouds. But instead, He chose to come as a tiny baby nestled under His mother's heart in her womb. Who could be intimidated by a tiny Baby born in a stable?

This quote reminds me, too, of what the Blessed Mother said when she appeared to Juan Diego in 1531 A.D., an event we celebrate today, on this feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe. She was dressed as a woman who is expecting a child, fittingly for Advent. She said: 

"Do not be troubled or weighed down with grief. Do not fear any illness or vexation, anxiety or pain. Am I not here who am your Mother? Are you not under my shadow and protection?...Are you not in the folds of my mantle? In the crossing of my arms? Is there anything else you need?"

I'm sorry, I can't resist just one more quote:

"We never give more honor to Jesus than when we honor His Mother, and we honor her simply and solely to honor Him all the more perfectly. We go to her only as a way leading to the goal we seek - Jesus, her Son."


~ St. Louis de Montfort



No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Find My Writing!

  A Photo I took in Siena, Italy last summer. Happy Feast of St. Catherine of Siena, everyone! As you see, I'm not regularly posting her...