Wednesday, June 7, 2023

'Tis Himself


The Sacred Heart of Jesus, in St. Bridget's B&B, County Wicklow, Ireland

June is the month of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, and for that reason, it is one of my favorites! In 2017, on a visit to Ireland, we stayed at a Bed and Breakfast in County Wicklow near the shrine of St. Kevin at Glendalough. The nice couple that had opened their home to guests had named it, "St. Bridget's B&B". 

As we came down the hallway from our room to the breakfast nook, I stopped to stare at this picture on the wall, pondering the quiet faith of the couple who owned the house. As she passed me with full plates of toast, the woman of the house said, "Is everything all right, then?" I told her I was admiring the picture.

"Well," she said matter-of-factly, "'Tis Himself, isn't it?" And she continued down the hall with the toast.

There's no arguing with that. He is who He is, and we know who He is. "I know Mine, and Mine know Me," He said.

During this month of the Sacred Heart, and as we celebrate the Feast of the Body and Blood of Christ (Corpus Christi), I hope we are able to make time for "Himself." Make a visit to the Blessed Sacrament, go to Mass during the week, or at least make some time to visit Him spiritually by prayer and meditation.

"How kind is our sacramental Jesus! He welcomes you at any hour of the day or night. His love never knows rest. He is always most gentle towards you. When you visit Him, He forgets your sins and speaks only of His joy, His tenderness, and His love. By the reception He gives to you, one would think He has need of you to make Him happy." ~ St. Peter Julian Eymard

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Find My Writing!

  A Photo I took in Siena, Italy last summer. Happy Feast of St. Catherine of Siena, everyone! As you see, I'm not regularly posting her...