Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Off to Heaven

 

The Sacred Heart of Jesus, in the Basilica at Loyola, Spain

St. Ignatius of Loyola founded the Jesuits, and so many saints we all know and love were Jesuits. Today, we celebrate the 22-year-old Jesuit St. Aloysius Gonzaga. He became ill and died after caring for a poor sick man. 

He actually felt guilty about how happy he was to die young and fly off to Heaven! He didn't purposely infect himself, but once he learned he would die, he couldn't wait.

"'We are off, Father Provincial!' exulted Aloysius [to his superior], his face already cold and gray, but his eyes shining.

"'Off? Where?'

"'To Heaven,' smiled the saint, 'If my sins do not stop me.'"

~ Rev. Edward F. Murphy, SSJ Hand Clasps with the Holy, imprimatur 1941.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Find My Writing!

  A Photo I took in Siena, Italy last summer. Happy Feast of St. Catherine of Siena, everyone! As you see, I'm not regularly posting her...