Monday, August 29, 2016

On August 29th, 1628, Bl. Richard Herst, a Catholic farmer, was martyred at Lancaster. Dom Bede Camm, OSB, in his A Birthday Book of the English Martyrs, wrote of him:
"Going very merrily back to prison, after having been trailed by the legs along a stony road to the heretical service, he said to some Catholics: 'They have tortured my body, but I thank God they have not hurt my soul.' Looking up to the executioner, who was busy in fastening the rope, but knew not readily how to do it right, he merrily called him by his name, and said, 'Tom, I think I must come and help thee.'"


What a joyous spirit these men and women had! We are irritable and "put-out" because the air conditioning fails in our cars, or because we get a few mosquito bites! :) These people offered their fortunes, their sufferings and even their lives with hearty words of humor and wit.



This altar was carved to honor the memory of "Tyburn Tree", a triangular gallows upon which many great Catholic martyrs gave their lives for Christ in London, England. This altar now rests in the crypt of Tyburn Convent, a few hundred feet from where the "Tree" stood. It is accompanied by an amazing museum of relics of the martyrs.... a blood-stained sleeve, a lock of hair, a corporal used at Mass, a rosary bead, etc. I'm not sure you can make out any of the inscriptions, but here is one of the display cases. May all the martyrs, rejoicing in Heaven, pray for us!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Find My Writing!

  A Photo I took in Siena, Italy last summer. Happy Feast of St. Catherine of Siena, everyone! As you see, I'm not regularly posting her...