Monday, August 8, 2016







We are preparing for the 50-mile pilgrimage on foot to the shrine of Saint Frances Xavier Cabrini in Golden, Colorado, (this picture is from last year's.) Preparing myself physically is a daunting task. :)But to prepare myself mentally and spiritually, I am reading "Travels of Mother Frances Xavier Cabrini", published in 1944. This volume is composed of her letters to the other nuns during her travels.

Here are some Words of Encouragement from this amazing woman:

"I don't feel ill, but I am not well, and I have no desire to do anything. Nevertheless I am in the happy position of being able to meditate freely. This is a great advantage for me, because I am able to pass the time conversing with the sweet Spouse of my soul. Oh, if everyone had the knowledge of the great and beautiful advantages of meditation and of speaking familiarly with Jesus, if they could experience these heavenly joys, they would certainly envy our happy life. Instead, how many poor creatures are there who do not want to know Him, in order to follow their own passions more freely, blinded by the smoke of the false pleasures of the world! In these circumstances, and at the sight of so many miserable and unfortunate creatures, how much better we are able to understand the great grace that God has given us by calling us to His Divine Service, or, to express it more accurately, to His love. Let us love Jesus, then...let us love Him very much."

Catholic meditation consists of placing ourselves in the presence of the Blessed Trinity, making the intention of what we mean to do by spending this time with God, and then focusing our mind on certain truths of our Faith, or inspiring words of God or His saints. At the end of the meditation time, we inwardly say a "colloquy" or prayer to Our Lord, thanking Him for all His benefits. And finally, St. Francis de Sales says to gather a little bouquet of the best thoughts we had, so that we may sniff them throughout the day....

Hope your day is full of the fragrance of holy thoughts!

1 comment:

  1. It's lovely to see your Words of Encouragement in this space :)

    ReplyDelete

Where to Find My Writing!

  A Photo I took in Siena, Italy last summer. Happy Feast of St. Catherine of Siena, everyone! As you see, I'm not regularly posting her...