Wednesday, August 10, 2016

(Photo credit: Website of  Shrine of St. Philomena)

Today, August 10th, is the day that St. Philomena went to Heaven, although her feastday is tomorrow. This photo looks like she is pointing the way to Heaven, but the statue is actually pointing the way to the Basilica at Ars (of which I posted pictures yesterday). I couldn't get a good photo of this statue myself because we whizzed past it on a busy street corner, so I had to borrow this picture. May she always point the way to Heaven for us!

I find great comfort in the Communion of Saints, the doctrine that the saints are our friends, that they care for each other and for us, and that they pray to God for us. If I were to ask a holy friend on earth to pray for me, I would take consolation in their intercession for me. How much more confidence do I have (and should I have!) in asking a friend in Heaven to intercede for me! I can't wait to see all my friends the Saints in Heaven someday, God willing!

I'm continuing to read about the amazing little nun, Mother Cabrini, in Travels of Mother Frances Xavier Cabrini, published by the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in 1944. In the short biographical sketch of her by the Most Rev. Amleto Giovanni Cicognani included in this book, we read:
Everyone advised her not to attempt to traverse the Cordilleras of the Andes; but nothing could frighten her indomitable heart, neither the terrific heights, nor volcanoes, nor snow eight meters deep, nor lakes, nor the incredible distances. Confident in Our Lady, Saint Rose and Saint Philomena, she crossed these mountains on mules to reach Buenos Aires, where she was to found schools for all classes. As her Patron Saint [St. Francis Xavier, the great Jesuit] used to say, 'I am afraid only of want of confidence in God my Protector.'

As she prepared to cross the Andes Mountains, a journey which in those days (1895) could be life-threatening, Mother Cabrini visited a shrine to St. Philomena. She wrote in a letter:

We first visited a Chapel of St. Philomena, the Wonder-worker, so much venerated here. We received Holy Communion at her altar, begging her to unite with St. Rose in protecting us. We made our thanksgiving at the back of the church, near an altar on which is venerated a picture of the martyrdom of the Saint. Whilst I was absorbed in prayer to the Saint, who inspired me with great confidence, telling her all my needs and necessities, a very gentle voice whispered in my ear, 'This is only a small offering.' I was so absorbed in laying my petition before the Saint, that I thought the words I heard were an illusion of my imagination, and so I made no movement. Again the soft voice repeated the same words. Then I raised my head, and, looking round, I saw someone offering me pieces of gold.

The guardian of the shrine offered the nuns a donation, in honor of St. Philomena. He later gave them books, pictures and St. Philomena cords because they were missionary Sisters. Mother Cabrini concludes with:

Then he gave me an image of the Wonder-worker, asking me to keep it in my pocket-book. He himself placed it there, saying, 'Keep it there, Mother, and you will never be in need of money for your Institute.' I was very much impressed, as he seemed to be inspired. You may imagine that I shall treasure this picture as a precious relic.

She then describes her adventures riding a mule (in her inexperience) over precipices in deep snow, with her nun's habit covered by a great cloak that someone had donated to her. For a sickly Italian woman of short stature, she accomplished incredible things! Her motto was always Philippians 4:13:

Omnia possum in Eo qui me confortat!

I can do all things, in Him Who strengthens me!
(I took this photo in Golden, Colorado, towards the end of the Mother Cabrini pilgrimage last year, as the pilgrims pushed the cart with the statue of Mother Cabrini up the mountainside...)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Find My Writing!

  A Photo I took in Siena, Italy last summer. Happy Feast of St. Catherine of Siena, everyone! As you see, I'm not regularly posting her...