Monday, September 5, 2016

"God sometimes overthrows empires to save a single soul."


I love this quote for today! It's still God's world, though it may not look like it in our times. If we look at the fall of the Roman Empire, the destruction of Jerusalem and similar historical events, we see that the enemies of God always lose in the end. God always brings good out of evil. 

God could be delaying the punishing of certain sins to save one soul. Or He could be planning the overthrow of certain evil empires because it will save one soul. We have only to look at the crucifix to see what He was willing to suffer to save souls and bring them to eternal joy in Heaven.

Now, taking that one step further...what is He doing today to save my soul? Let me cooperate with Him in His efforts, and do all I can to further the salvation of those around me. As St. Augustine said, "God made us without us, but He will not save us without us."

The above quote is attributed to Bishop Jacques-Benigne Bossuet, in The Expectation of Jesus by L'Abbe Max Caron, imprimatur 1900. I took this photo near the Coliseum in Rome in 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Find My Writing!

  A Photo I took in Siena, Italy last summer. Happy Feast of St. Catherine of Siena, everyone! As you see, I'm not regularly posting her...