Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Going to Confession
(Palais D'Isle, a prison in Annecy, France, where St. Francis de Sales used to hear Confessions)

Have you ever felt afraid of going to Confession? If you are a non-Catholic, have you ever wondered why anybody would want to do such a thing? When a humble and sincere and penitent confession of one's sins is made to an ordained priest of God, especially a general confession of one's whole life, peace, joy and light flood the soul. The priest raises his hand in absolution and uses the power Christ gave him to forgive sins, saying the words in Latin that begin, "Absolvo te" - I absolve you....of your sins...in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.

Maybe you are a Catholic and you go to Confession regularly, but can't imagine how difficult it would be to make a general confession of your whole life. Doing one during a retreat is one of the most cathartic and extreme experiences you can imagine, especially if it is your first time doing it. I'd like to share with you today this tidbit that Bishop Jean Pierre Camus wrote about his friend St. Francis de Sales:
"A personal friend of the Bishop brought himself at a great cost to make a general confession of his past life, and, deeply touched with its earnestness and sincerity, Francis expressed some such feeling to the penitent."'You speak thus to comfort me,' was the answer, 'but you cannot really feel any esteem for so great a sinner.'"'I should be a very Pharisee,' Francis replied, 'if I held you as such now that you are absolved. You are as white as snow in my eyes, pure as Naaman issuing forth from Jordan, and I love you tenfold...I see you changed by God's Hand from a vessel of impurity to one of sanctification. Our Lord did not alter His intention of building His Church upon St. Peter because of that Apostle's fall, regarding his repentance and his tears rather than his sin. Nor can I refrain from sharing the joy of the angels over the conversion and cleansing of your dear heart. Believe me, your tears have refreshed my soul, and I love you in proportion as you love God.' This penitent left the tribunal so touched that he told a friend no earthly pleasure could be so sweet as such a confession."

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Isn't that comforting? St. Francis de Sales was a great advocate of general confessions, as an "introduction to the devout life". :)

      Delete

Where to Find My Writing!

  A Photo I took in Siena, Italy last summer. Happy Feast of St. Catherine of Siena, everyone! As you see, I'm not regularly posting her...