Saturday, December 31, 2016

And finally, if we haven't already made one to three New Year's resolutions, today - now - is the time to do it! I love waking up on the first day of the year and knowing exactly what I'm going to do.

Here are some recommendations for good resolutions from Fr. Joseph F. Hogan, SJ, in his 1961 book, A Do-it-Yourself Retreat:

"1. I decide upon a few efficacious means that will remove disorder from my life.

"2. I choose something that will improve my daily habits: prayer, family life, work, social contacts.

"3. I keep before my eyes motives strong enough to make me carry out my resolution. For example: I will be happier, closer to God, surer of salvation. I will be using my God-given talents.

"4. I begin at once to put my resolutions into practice, having written them down for daily, weekly, and monthly review....I will keep the paper upon which I have written my resolution in my missal where I can review it periodically...I promise you, Lord, that on each Sunday at Mass I will glance over this decision, and if I have not carried it out I will begin again."

Most exciting of all, tomorrow morning, the first day of 2017, gives us a chance to "begin again". Picture a spotless field of snow, with no footprints in it yet. As Anne of Green Gables said about any day, "Tomorrow is fresh, with no mistakes in it." :) 

2017 is fresh, with no mistakes (or footprints) in it. Let's make it a great one!

Let us also remember that this can apply anytime. If it's 3:58 pm now where you are, know that the 4 o'clock hour is fresh, with no mistakes in it yet! We can always start over...while we're still alive, we can start over. Start fresh. Start anew, with courage.





1 comment:

Where to Find My Writing!

  A Photo I took in Siena, Italy last summer. Happy Feast of St. Catherine of Siena, everyone! As you see, I'm not regularly posting her...