Friday, January 19, 2018


(Miraculous picture of the Carrying of the Cross, Segovia, Spain. 
St. John of the Cross received a consoling revelation in which this picture spoke to him.)

We are still in the beautiful Epiphany season, and don't want to think about Lent yet...or at least I don't. :) But there are so many beautiful thoughts, meditations and hymns about the sublime season of Our Lord's sufferings and death available to us.

Here is one that takes the breath away with its beauty:

"St. Gertrude, so dear to God, was once taught by Him that he who is considering in his heart the image of the Crucified, should think he hears Jesus Himself saying to him in all mildness and gentleness, 'Seest thou how I was suspended on the cross for love of thee, despised, My whole Body wounded and every Limb stretched! And even yet My Heart glows with such plenitude of the sweetness of love for thee, that I would suffer all I suffered for the whole world, for thee alone, were there no other means of saving thee and thou couldst not otherwise attain to eternal bliss."

~ Consoling Revelations collected by the Ven. Benedictine Abbot Blosius

These words refer to Our Lord's sufferings and death for us, it's true, but it's also about the glories of Heaven. In the end, that's what it's all about. Our Lord is willing to give everything to get us to join Him in Paradise. Let us not trudge slowly along, thinking we guess we'll meet Him halfway: let us run to meet Him!

How do we do this? By giving ourselves to His Will with abandon, with joy, and with courage!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Find My Writing!

  A Photo I took in Siena, Italy last summer. Happy Feast of St. Catherine of Siena, everyone! As you see, I'm not regularly posting her...