Wednesday, March 29, 2023

50 Years Ago Today....

(Photo by Stephanie McGuire, taken 22 years ago on my first trip to Ireland. I'm holding the miraculous Infant Jesus statue that belonged to Little Nellie of Holy God. To read about her, click here: Library : Modern Day Saint — Nellie Organ | Catholic Culture.)

Today is a landmark birthday for me...I've lived half a century. Half a century! It doesn't seem possible. 

As I contemplate this, I'm grateful for so much in my life. I thank God for my Catholic Faith, and my family and other loved ones. What are some of my other favorite things?

"Raindrops on roses, and whiskers on kittens...." ~ Wait, stop, Julie Andrews. I've got this. My favorite things, not yours. (I have often thought, however, that Raindrops on Roses would be my choice for the name of a tea room.)

My Favorite Things on my 50th Birthday

Tea Rooms and Tea Parties and Tea with friends - warm, steaming scones with real Devonshire cream and a touch of Irish berry jam.

Ireland - Irish air that makes my hair soft and wavy, Irish music that makes my feet itch to dance, Irish scenery that rejoices my heart, Irish stew that warms my insides, Irish Faith and History - finding shrines and castles around every corner!

Irish Tea, especially Barry's Gold, Bewley's Gold and Lyon's Gold. Ha! And it's my "golden anniversary" of being born!

Travel, particularly to Europe - immersing myself in their history and culture. I'm happiest when I'm mistaken for a local, like when I was asked for directions in Cashel, Co. Tipperary.

Sister-Friends: you all know who you are. I'm so thankful for each and every one of you!

Smiling, and bringing a smile to others' faces.

Laughing, and watching laughter bubble up in others.

Encouraging others; lifting them up and helping them find hope and inspiration.

Reading, especially clean mysteries, books that transport me to another time and place, stories with strong characters, books about the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the lives of the Saints.

Cozy places - like window seats, and secret rooms that open behind bookshelves, and sofas with pillows and soft throws.

Writing - travel journals, blogs, mysteries, inspirational nonfiction, stories of the Saints.

Browsing bookstores....especially in House of Books in Ballybofey, Co. Donegal or John Bevan's Books on the Welsh/English border. 

The list could go on...but it's been fun to think of some of the many things that I enjoy and that I'm thankful for these 50 years....

If you read this, I hope you'll say a prayer for me today, that I may fulfill God's Plan for me, that I may do His work, that He may work through me, in my own soul, my husband, my children, and everyone with whom I come in contact. 

I want to share the Light.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Find My Writing!

  A Photo I took in Siena, Italy last summer. Happy Feast of St. Catherine of Siena, everyone! As you see, I'm not regularly posting her...