Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Is Lent over yet?

 

Annecy, the hometown of St. Francis de Sales

I took this photo in 2015, and when I look at it, it makes me so happy. The town has changed so little that from the days that St. Francis de Sales walked its streets and crossed its canals.

He is one of my favorite saints, and the subject of the first chapter of my book. St. Francis de Sales first met his friend and spiritual daughter St. Jane de Chantal when she came to hear him preach at Dijon during Lent. In those days before the internet or even tape recorders, the faithful came in person to hear great prelates preach.

We only have two and a half more weeks of Lent! Let us garner some inspiration from a letter of St. Francis today:

"Lent is the autumn of the spiritual life, during which we gather fruit to keep us going for the rest of the year. Enrich yourselves with these treasures, which nobody can take away from you and which cannot be destroyed. I am accustomed to say that we will not spend Lent well unless we are determined to make the most of it. Let us, therefore, spend this Lent as if it were our last, and we will make it well." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Find My Writing!

  A Photo I took in Siena, Italy last summer. Happy Feast of St. Catherine of Siena, everyone! As you see, I'm not regularly posting her...