Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Somehow, growing up, I think I had the idea that meditation wasn't for people like me. The quotes I saw on the wonders of mental prayer seemed to all come from Saint Teresa of Avila. (Don't ask me why; so many saints have talked about its benefits, but I thought of it as her particular form of prayer.) So I thought, if and when I become a Carmelite nun who traipses around Spain reforming dozens of convents, then it would be my turn to meditate. 😏

Little did I know! All of us should meditate on God and eternity, and we should teach our children to do so...think of the benefits they could reap!

The great Father Lasance, in his 1933 book, The Road to Happiness, writes:

"The great difference between the good and bad Christian is that the one thinks well on the truths he believes, and by that means lets them sink deep into his soul and take root there, so that they bring forth in him the fruits of all virtues; whereas the other does not think, and therefore is hardly touched by the truths of the Gospel; they make no impression upon him because his faith is asleep, or rather dead, for want of consideration....Oh, that men would but think! What a reformation should we see in the world! Resolve to allow yourself daily some time to meditate upon the great truths that relate to God and eternity. 'Tis one of the best means you have to secure your soul."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Find My Writing!

  A Photo I took in Siena, Italy last summer. Happy Feast of St. Catherine of Siena, everyone! As you see, I'm not regularly posting her...