Friday, January 13, 2017

Today is the feast of the Baptism of Our Lord by St. John the Baptist.

"At that time John saw Jesus coming to him, and he saith: Behold the Lamb of God, behold Him Who taketh away the sin of the world." (John 1:29).

This day always makes me think of what a good priest said once: that the whole mission of St. John the Baptist was to point out the Savior when He came. Father went on to say that as a mother, (or as a parent, shall we say), my greatest job is to point out the Savior to my children. If I have shown my children the way to God, then I have fulfilled my mission. Food for meditation, eh?

We can even take this a step further, and see if God puts anyone else in our path for whom we can be a John the Baptist. Someone asks us about our Faith, about our church, about what we believe. Seize that opportunity, and point out the way!

This Lamb of God to Whom we point, following in St. John the Baptist's footsteps, is sacrificed every day on our altars at Mass. This should bring us great comfort and peace.

"In that silent hour [at Mass] the sacred and propitiatory Host is immolated to the justice of God, and His mercy is invoked. The Lamb of God, Who takes away the sins of the world, is offered to the Father to call down His blessings, and to obtain peace."

~ Rev. Hilary Maurice Vigo, The Immaculate Conception, 1878.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Find My Writing!

  A Photo I took in Siena, Italy last summer. Happy Feast of St. Catherine of Siena, everyone! As you see, I'm not regularly posting her...