Saturday, January 7, 2017

The most common subjects suggested for Catholic meditation are Death, Judgment, Heaven and Hell. These are, of course, referred to as the Four Last Things. Although they are very serious and can be considered heavy subjects, sometimes they give us a bird's eye view of the problems we experience on a daily basis.

For example: when I'm on my deathbed, is it really going to matter that I didn't close this big business deal? When I'm standing before the judgment seat of God, will I care about this traffic jam that is making me late to pick up my children from school? When I am rejoicing eternally in Heaven (hopefully), will it matter that the baby kept me up all night and I wasn't able to clean the house before company dropped in unexpectedly? The more we meditate on the four last things, the less we let ourselves be overwhelmed and exasperated by the little things in this life.

Father Lasance writes in his 1933 book, The Road to Happiness,

"In sorrow and suffering, in trial and temptation let us reflect upon the last things, and ask ourselves: How does this look in the light of eternity? What will this count for eternity?"

Then he reminds us of the comforting words of St. Paul:

"'I reckon that the sufferings of this time are not worthy to be compared with the glory to come, that shall be revealed in us.' (Romans 8:18)" 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Find My Writing!

  A Photo I took in Siena, Italy last summer. Happy Feast of St. Catherine of Siena, everyone! As you see, I'm not regularly posting her...