Thursday, February 23, 2017

It is my considered opinion that crosses that nobody knows about are the hardest to carry. When we have big public crosses, everyone rallies around us and comforts us and admires our courage. But when we have secret crosses, it is much harder to bear up cheerfully. If we show impatience, people wonder, "What's wrong with him? (or her)" People may even think that we have no difficulties, and resent us or envy us. And meanwhile, we are secretly suffering.

But the saints tell us that these secret sufferings are the most meritorious...only God knows about them, and we can offer them to Him as a special gift. The next time that we are suffering secretly, let us remember these words:

"For the love of Jesus I will carry with courage and generosity the cross which is hidden in my heart." ~ St. Bernadette

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Find My Writing!

  A Photo I took in Siena, Italy last summer. Happy Feast of St. Catherine of Siena, everyone! As you see, I'm not regularly posting her...