Thursday, February 16, 2017

St. Bernadette, who saw the Blessed Virgin Mary at Lourdes in 1858, was constantly pestered by people who wanted her to tell them about it. This was understandable, but it was certainly a trial to her at times. Some were pious; some were skeptical or curious; some were even mocking.

Here is another quote from the same book as yesterday: Saint Bernadette Speaks by Fr. Albert Bessieres, SJ, 1956:

"I used to talk to God in patois (the simple dialect which she spoke), and to Our Lady; I used to offer them my sufferings for the conversion of sinners. One day, one of these sinners came to see me, and asked me, in a mocking tone, to tell him what I had seen;
"I snubbed him: - 'It is no use, since you do not believe.'
"'I am a sinner,' he murmured, 'Perhaps if I were to see how she smiled it would convert me.'
"'That smile is only to be seen in Heaven, sir. But, since you are a sinner, I will try and give you some idea.'
"That poor smile was able to convert him."


Imagine, Bernadette's poor imitation of the beauty of the Blessed Virgin's smile was enough to soften his heart and make him return to God! What would that smile of God's Mother look like? St. Bernadette said sometimes she was serious, sometimes she smiled, and when Bernadette tried to hand her pen and paper to write down her name, she even laughed.

God gave His Mother her smile and her laugh, when He created her. I wonder how often the little Lord Jesus must have elicited them from her in His childhood, purposely doing something charming or cute to see that sweet smile?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Find My Writing!

  A Photo I took in Siena, Italy last summer. Happy Feast of St. Catherine of Siena, everyone! As you see, I'm not regularly posting her...