Monday, October 10, 2016

(The cathedral of St. Francis de Sales - St. Peter's in Annecy, France)

When I read that St. Francis de Sales was never seen in a hurry (like, for example, when he must have walked up these steps to his cathedral), I thought, "Well, sure, but he was a bishop! They never started things without him. Whatever time he got there was the time the meeting started, or Mass began, or lunch was served!" But although it's probably true that people didn't start things without him if he was a few minutes late, he also looked at time in the light of eternity.

He was considerate of others and didn't keep them waiting unnecessarily, but he kept his peace of soul even when everything seemed to be conspiring to make him miss an appointment.
"Saint Francis de Sales was never seen in a hurry no matter how varied or numerous might be the demands made upon his time. When on a certain occasion some surprise was expressed at this he said: 'You ask me how it is that although others are agitated and flurried I am not likewise uneasy and in haste. What would you? I was not put in this world to cause fresh disturbance: is there not enough of it already without my adding to it by my excitability?' However, do not on the other hand succumb to sloth and indifference. All extremes are to be avoided. Cultivate a tranquil activity and an active tranquility."
R. P. Quadrupani, Barnabite, wrote this in 1795 in his book Light and Peace. 

A tranquil activity and an active tranquility....

Food for thought today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Find My Writing!

  A Photo I took in Siena, Italy last summer. Happy Feast of St. Catherine of Siena, everyone! As you see, I'm not regularly posting her...